[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Braindead Braindead at diablops.com
Wed Aug 8 14:44:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:02:10 -0500
"Tim Litwiller" <timlitw at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, if you don't "trust" or what ever Paypal would you trust Google
> checkout instead?

At this point I don't know what method(s) they use, so barring any good third party analysis of their systems/techniques.. no I would not. And I certainly would never authorize recurring charges to anything be that a bank account or credit card.  In general one time charges require that the charger *not* store your account number for longer than necessary and it become their responsibility to protect it.  When you authorize recurring charges you have effectively given them your credit card number to keep forever and you have authorized them to do so.

I'm currently one of two key architects of an automated recharge system, and we go through great lengths to protect customer CC's... *but* there are decisions made higher up that override stronger security. I'm confident that our system will stand up to *most* security risks, but I also know of several ways it could be circumvented if someone had the will and opportunity.

I think the safest thing a person could do is to get some sort of prepaid credit card, and use it like a wallet.. don't put more money in it than you can stand to lose.  I'd just as soon not have someone max out a CC with a $15K limit...
--
"You can't have filenames longer than 14 chars.
You can't even think about them!"