[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 14:41:49 UTC 2007

> Obvious issues (for XMLTV list, not here?) are, if one local (like
> LUGs) can subscribe and redistribute, and if there is no OSS code, and
> no added value, doesn't' that just make schedulesdirect.org a
> commercial reseller of TMS data?

The difference is, this is a not-for-profit service run by people who are
willing to donate much of their time.  This means they can offer rates that
are far cheaper than any commercial service, and the rates will generally
decrease as the number of subscribers increases, since the goal will simply
be to cover costs, which are largely fixed (the TMS fees), aside from the
need to add hardware and bandwidth (though both of those could very well be
donated).

BTW, I echo your sentiments.  That was a great writeup, and definitely
helped to clarify the situation.  Thanks for all the info, Chris!

Brett.