[mythtv-users] Dish Network DVB Legally with Myth (was Re: Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org)

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Wed Aug 8 13:43:19 UTC 2007

On Wed August 8 2007 12:39:43 am Michael T. Dean wrote:

> >>  This "well known" info is flat out wrong. Myth will happily handle the
> >> huffman encoded EIT data sent by Dishnet and has been able to do it for
> >> a long, long time. Your source of information is wrong.
> >
> > Uhm, ok, nice try.
>
> You do realize that Greg is the one who wrote the DISH EIT support for
> Myth.  I'm pretty sure he's also maintaining a box for family that uses
> it (even to this day).  So, your chances of convincing him that it
> doesn't work are pretty slim.  Those having problems probably haven't
> configured it properly or are trying to illegally access encrypted
> content--and Myth definitely doesn't do that (and, you're right about
> not discussing that here).

I have been a Dish Network subscriber for over 5 years now.  I own a
dual-tuner Dish Network STB receiver.  I use it solely with Myth, driving it
with an IR blaster and it's hooked up to a PVR-250 card.

I'd love to get the original Dish data stream digitally into Myth.  This is
the first I've heard of anyone being able to do that with legal methods.  I
have searched the website, wiki, and FAQ, and haven't been able to figure
out how, or even what hardware is needed.  Apparently more than a DVB-S
receiver card is needed due to the encryption; is there a DVB-S card with a
Dish smartcard reader, or how is this done?  Or are people not getting the
actual progamming into Myth digitally, but only the EIT data?

Thanks,

-- John