[mythtv-users] Which distro for new system?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Aug 8 06:58:10 UTC 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 11:51 PM, DaveD wrote:

> I'm about to put together a new Myth system and am looking for
> advice on
> which distro to put on it.  I'm currently running FC5 and it has some
> issues that I assume are being addressed in newer releases.  Anyone
> having luck (or problems) with FC7?  I tried the latest FC6, Ubuntu 7
> and Suse 10.2 but each time ended up returning to FC5 as it gave me
> the
> least number of things that don't work.  Now that they've stopped
> supporting FC5, it's time to move on.  I'll be running a single FE/BE
> system, dual display, multi-seat, Athlon dual core, Nvidia chipset and
> onboard Nvidia video as well as Nvidia plug-in PCI-express for the 2nd
> display.  Suggestions, advice, favorite distro, etc, appreciated.
>
> DaveD.

Since you seem most comfortable with Fedora (based on the fact that
you had fewest problems with it), I would stick with it. I started
keeping one step behind the current release in hopes that it would
reduce my chances of things going wrong. It's worked out for the most
part. I was on FC4 when FC5 came out, then FC5 when 6 came out and
just moved to FC6. Each time has had fewer and fewer issues (like
dependency hell which I have some to despise). I still always have
SOME issue, but it's gotten better and better.

That being said, lots of people here use Debian and I hear great
things about its stability. However, it's also much slower to update
so you're stuck running old stuff a lot longer than quicker release
cycles like Fedora or Ubuntu. Centos is also a good candidate for
you. It will be as familiar to you as Fedora, but much longer release
cycles which means fewer upgrades. (Centos follows the RHEL release
cycle.)