[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 05:26:13 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> Well, OK, thanks for clarifying.  You never really said what your
> problem was with SchedulesDirect, before.
>
> Didn't someone mention having written a screen scraper for
> titantv.com, earlier?  Maybe you should talk to them, since they
> apparently already have a solution going.  (Or maybe that was TiVo's
> website.  I can't remember, now.)

Testing, 1, 2, 3, is this thing still on?  :-)  Wow, not banned?

Uhm, ok, no.  Yes, I have heard "mention" of scraping, and I may have
over-reacted and been unclear with the "I'm not seeing the dots to
connect" comment.  I guess I meant, if it's out there, what is it,
where is it coming from, do they have a website, can people donate to
the project, what do they need, etc...

If it's there, I'd like to know, from all I could tell, it was an
idea, not a project.  And no one really explained the idea (recently,
anyway, while I was paying attention... then again, I have the
attention span of a gnat or a ... what was I saying?)

> You need to find someone else who is also interested in screen-
> scraping, and knows how to code.

Can do... might help to have a pointer, url, something though.

> Most people seem to feel that it's
> worth their while to pay SchedulesDirect for data to avoid the
> headaches of screen-scraping,

That'd be me.  I'm with COX, hoping to pay a few $$ for good data.
Love to be able to pay or donate to the project the does "more" than
the others, and offers UPLOAD as well as download... to get some
"suggested recording" data like I mentioned in another thread.

> but if getting the data for free is
> more important to you than the extra maintenance, you just need to
> find someone else who feels the same way.

Yea, that's most people I'm dealing with.  They would rather pay
$50-100 once for an ever expanding OSS project or something, then pay
$2/month forever.  They won't do squat, but they might have $$$, and
I'm not one to complain if they want to spend it on OSS rather than
some subscription.

> I think you may be
> mistaking lack of interest for hostility.

Wouldn't be my first mistake!  Not even my first one today... :-)