Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Aug 8 04:40:45 UTC 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 9:24 PM, Robert Current wrote:

> On 8/7/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> Sure, I've had
>> downtimes and frustrations, but my family has come accustomed to not
>> watching commercials and having TONS of video content at their
>> fingertips so we can never go back.
>
> I wish I could say the same for my family.  Uhm, no sarcasm intended,
> but can you explain a bit about the "TONS of video content at their
> fingertips" that isn't on TiVo?

I was mostly referring to movies. I rip DVD's and store them on a
media server in my basement so they can be watched on the main LCD TV
in the Living room or their our own machines in their bedrooms. They
also have access to all the music in my library (about 400GB of mp3's
that I've ripped from CD), 1TB of recorded television shows (a
mixture of HD and standard def), all the photos I've taken in the
past 4 years, MAME ROMS, current news of their choice. Plus, we can
stream recorded TV and music over the web onto our laptops when away
from home, or download a video podcast to my iPhone or one of our
video iPods to watch while we're on the go (great for my son's long
bus ride to school when that's in session or our long plane rides
when we visit family on the opposite US coast). This is why I
switched from Tivo.