[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 04:18:05 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> I don't know.  Maybe you should discuss it with them, and report back
> to us?  I'm not sure what you think people should be doing.  There's
> nothing stopping you from investigating this if you're keen on it.

Sure, I could give them a call, but they don't list a phone number.  I
sent an email asking, not sure how many levels of tech support it will
take to get a reply.

I can try to find a way to pull data, but it will involve setting up
Windows on my PC again, and pulling the PVR data, and following the
documents, might take me a day or two (since I've never done it, and
have to find all the disks).

If there was ANYONE willing to look at it and was actually able and
willing to work on it, I'd be more than happy to.  But so far, I've
only seen sarcasm here.

> Probably time.  No one has decided to put effort into it yet.  If
> you'd like to work on it, certainly no one's going to stop you.  You
> could write your own grabber; I understand XMLTV has a plugin-
> oriented architecture for exactly this sort of thing.

I'd be happy to work on it.  My skills are not up to it, I'm saying
that up front.  Unless there was someone else, I guess the more
expensive, non-OSS project might have a leg up?

If the schedulesdirect.org guys are OSS, maybe they could open up
thier existing code, and some tallented person could adapt it to some
data I might be able to pull from titantv.com?  But the
schedulesdirect.org have bearly let anyone know what's going on, and
not even mentioned if it's an OSS project...  And already mentioned
wanting $$$... so that looks like slim odds.  Anyone know if
schedulesdirect.org would be OSS?  If so, then that might be a HUGE
leap forward for other data gathering stuff, including even the scrape
guys...

Heck, I know people who would take scraped data, and they have a lot
of the interface coded, if it is OSS... then...

> If you're asking other people to do the work for you that might be a
> harder sell, especially if it means taking time away from other
> projects.

Yea, I know it's ALMOST asking someone to do it (up to now).  What I
really asked is if it was possible.  This was sort of a "fesibility
study" of other methods thread.

But if that's the point, I'll flat out ask.  Can ANYONE do this?  I
can do very little, and offer tiny amounts of cash.  But, I'd do all I
can for a Free Use OSS project to do this.  I'm sure a lot of people
would.