Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 02:39:28 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Well, the reason I run GNU/Linux systems and MythTV is because they work
> better than any other solution I've found (including Windows/Windows
> MCE).  But--completely discounting hardware cost--they're significantly
> more expensive than Windows/Windows MCE (because of the time I've put
> into making them work better).  And, when only non-time costs (i.e.
> hardware and subscription costs) are compared to a TiVo (all of which
> generally have very low hardware costs), my Myth boxes are egregiously
> expensive.

Keep in mind, TiVo is a Linux based system.  It is commercial, and
hired lots of former OSS programmers, who now have "day jobs" and
continue to work on OSS software.  And the hardware ain't THAT cheap,
ever price a HD TiVo?  Still, yea, probably a bargin compared to what
you might have paid.

Don't be so fast to disrespect a commercial project, simply because
it's commercial.  It is Linux.  It hired some OSS coders.  It is a
VERY slick interface.  And, heck, it's user friendly as heck, you get
a lot for what your paying for it.