Scott Milliken scott.milliken at e-comsultant.net
Wed Aug 8 01:48:57 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Braindead <Braindead at diablops.com> wrote:
>
>>> Well, I guess it's by by to MythTV for me.  I had too many
>>> problems with PayPal in the past, I'm certainly not going to get
>>> an account or otherwise use their services now (no way am I giving
>>> them a CC number that's for sure).
>>>

> I know a lot of people dislike Paypal, but there really aren't many
> other realistic options for accepting online payments.  Getting a
> merchant account is a considerable ongoing expense and a major risk
> for a small company.  One non-profit I know of that tried having
> their own merchant account nearly went belly up because scammers
> started using their website to check stolen credit card numbers to
> see which ones were valid.  They were on the hook for all the invalid
> transaction fees, for thousands of attempts.

I am the president of Nashville 2600, which believe it or not, is a
registered 501(c)(3) non-profit charity.  Yeah, most people double take
when hearing about a charitable non-profit hacker group.  We use
clickandpledge.com instead of PayPal because of the negative issues
associated with them, and fortunately the fees that clickandpledge.com
charges are much less than banks.  Just tossing out another alternative
that is non-profit friendly.

Scott