[mythtv-users] Alternatives to Supporting schedulesdirect.org

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 23:56:36 UTC 2007

Changed the subject, so it's not off topic... more below:

> On Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:34, Robert Current wrote:
>

> > I considered this too...  Well, there is another way to look at this
> > too.... Hauppauge and Nvidia among many other hardware providers are
> > somehow partnered with TitanTV.  And when buying the hardware
> > products, they advertise use of the listing data.  I have an account
> > there that was registered with hardware....  and that hardware is now
> > in my MythTV system.
>
> This is getting way OT, so I'll end it here, but I believe you will find that
> the licenses for the listing data have nothing to do with the hardware but
> rather the software that comes with it.
>
> For example, when you purchase a retail DVD drive it usually comes with
> software to decode MPEG2, thus using the drive for MPEG2 under Linux might be
> a technical violation, as it is the software that is licensed, not the
> hardware.

http://www.titantv.com/ttv/menu/terms.aspx
The Terms of Use state pretty clearly it's "TITANTV.COM is a free
service for consumers and is provided for your personal,
non-commercial home use only."

http://www.titantv.com/ttv/grid/aboutpvrwatchfull.aspx
The list of partners is a lot of HARDWARE companies.

I'm guessing where to get listing data is far from over.  If there is
ANY option out there, someone is going to find a way to use it.  The
way I see it, there are countless ways to have this work.  There seems
to be some hostile reaction on this list to anyone who questions the
schedulesdirect.org project, even in principle of "is there another
way."  Don't they have their own list to defend the project and
approach?  Isn't this list about MythTV, not schedulesdirect.org,
which should have options for every possible listing source, fee or
free, we can get?  I don't see the harm in asking if some other source
can be used.

If some free service subsidized by a hardware company is an option,
I'll be buying that hardware.  Even if it's TiVo/DirecTV subsidized.
If some OSS project has a primarily donation driven solution, I'll
support that before I'll support any subscription based service.  And
if I have to pay someone a subscription, I expect as a consumer that a
free market dictates I am allowed to "shop" and pick the best
available service for the $.