[mythtv-users] Supporting schedulesdirect.org (Tom Greer)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 7 21:43:28 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007 15:09, Braindead wrote:

> A non-profit organization doesn't mean people aren't going to profit, even
> though technically they are receiving compensation for services.  Many
> people who run non-profit organizations make huge salaries, they aren't
> profits technically.
>
> I'm not suggesting that's the case here (I certainly hope it's not).  But
> just because an organization is "non profit" doesn't really mean much at
> all.

"Non-profit" can mean a lot of things. Most people confuse "non-profit" with
403C (I think) which means that contributions to that entity are
tax-deductible. You can also have a "non-profit" that does not meet those
requirements.

You also have to deal with various legal matters, like what happens to the
corporations assets if it disolves, I believe there is some requirement that
contributed funds go someplace in keeping with the intent of the
contributors. All these things have to be worked out, and I suspect the Myth
developers are getting an education in matters they never had to deal with
previously, ultimately to the benefit of us all.

None of which matters here. If I receive something of value to me I expect to
pay for it in some way. To not do so is to be a leech, one of the lower forms
of life on earth.

--
BEWW