David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Aug 7 21:42:40 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Braindead <Braindead at diablops.com> wrote:
>> Well, I guess it's by by to MythTV for me.  I had too many
>> problems with PayPal in the past, I'm certainly not going to get
>> an account or otherwise use their services now (no way am I giving
>> them a CC number that's for sure).

Well, that's your choice, I suppose.  Personally I don't worry too
much about giving *any* company a CC number, because if there's a
dispute the CC company will almost always go to bat for me.  If you
don't trust them, you might not want to give them your checking
account number, though.  (This is actually a much bigger problem than
Paypal -- anyone with your account number and routing number can
write a bank draft against your checking account, and you have very
little recourse.  I avoid paying with checks whenever possible.)

I know a lot of people dislike Paypal, but there really aren't many
other realistic options for accepting online payments.  Getting a
merchant account is a considerable ongoing expense and a major risk
for a small company.  One non-profit I know of that tried having
their own merchant account nearly went belly up because scammers
started using their website to check stolen credit card numbers to
see which ones were valid.  They were on the hook for all the invalid
transaction fees, for thousands of attempts.