Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 21:25:35 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:
> On 08/07/2007 05:01 PM, Robert Current wrote:
> >
> > But, heck, if it's going to cost me anyway, I'll bet you dollars to
> > donuts that my $6/month fee will get me PERFECT listing data, great
> > TiVo suggestions, and a really slick stable interface...
> >
> > That left with the choice of $6/month for DirecTiVo with great
> > features vs. $10/month for MythTV without those features...  I'm
> > wondering if it's time to dust of my TiVo...
>
> Actually if you think about it, the $6/month pvr fee is only $1/month
> because you have dual tuners and don't have to pay for the additional
> receiver at $5/month.  :-)

Yea, interesting way to look at it.  Very true.

Bottom line is, as soon as it costs anything, people have to compare
cost vs features with other for fee services.  MythTV had a huge leg
up on commercial DVRs with free data, not counting hardware costs.
And, like it or not, there are a HUGE group of users that switch for
no other reason that one less monthly fee....

But, this fee issue really opened the door for "cost/performance"
comparison.  I guess in my specific case, I have hardware for both...
It comes down to the data fees...  And, apparently the competition in
my case is charging $6 or $1 per month, depending on how you look at
it.  And with that fee comes commercial support, stable software, good
data, lots of features...

What schedulesdirect will charge is still unknown..  what support
there will be for that is still unknown... so I can't say I've
decided...