Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 21:01:45 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Braindead <Braindead at diablops.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:01:24 -0400
> Jeff Wormsley <daworm at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Tom Greer wrote:
> > >
> > > No sooner than I post a comment, there is an update on
> > > www.schedules-direct.com <http://www.schedules-direct.com>.
> > >

> > "Membership dues will be billed through PayPal and will be offered to
> > non-commercial users in the United States and Canada."
>
> Well, I guess it's by by to MythTV for me.  I had too many problems with PayPal in the past, I'm certainly not going to get an account or otherwise use their services now (no way am I giving them a CC number that's for sure).
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the broadcasters should be paying for this as.  I doubt anybody thinks that Time Warner (for example) isn't making money hand over fist.  I suppose some people are so hooked on TV that they'll pay, but there is nothing on TV that I can't live without, in particular if I can't record it and watch at my convenience.
>
> I don't mind supporting open source projects (I have two on Sourceforge myself), but paying to get TV listings? Not me.
>
> I may try some alternatives, but most likely I'll just use the Myth box to play videos, listen to music and the like.

Yea, I'm kinda thinking the same thing.  I have a very nice DirecTiVo
dual tuner 240G HDVR2 sitting collecting dust that worked very well.
It took me a long time before I gave it up for MythTV, and about the
only reason was to save the $6/month they were charging for listing
data...  I finally went "what's the point?"

But, heck, if it's going to cost me anyway, I'll bet you dollars to
donuts that my $6/month fee will get me PERFECT listing data, great
TiVo suggestions, and a really slick stable interface...

That left with the choice of $6/month for DirecTiVo with great
features vs. $10/month for MythTV without those features...  I'm
wondering if it's time to dust of my TiVo...