Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 20:32:24 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > From my reading of the discussion, the legal way would be to go to
> > each individual station and get the data from them.  What you're
> > paying TMS for, essentially, is doing that substantial amount of work
> > for you.
> >

> I assume you can also legally grab it from your cable companies listings or
> scan your daily newspaper or TVguide.

Well, presumably, TVguide and the local newspaper will be copyrighted sources...

IANAL... however, I think NBC/CBS/etc big networks list shows
schedules with implied consent to be used.  I don't think  NBC is
going to say "hey, you can't tell people what shows we are
broadcasting!"

However, copying from a something that is clearly in the publication
business wouldn't have that implied consent.  They might complain a
bit about unusual use and potential re-distribution of their
materials.

Now, everyone out there individually parsing (with no intent to
redistribute) might be somewhere in between those two examples.  I'm
not sure where the legality would land in that case.  Then again,
IANAL, I don't know where it would land in ANY of these cases, thus my
first questions :-)