Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Aug 7 19:52:59 UTC 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 12:46 PM, Robert Current wrote:

> TMS is Zap2it.  So, this is going to be the same old data, with new
> location to download from, and a price tag?
>
> Hmm...  Just a legal question, but isn't EIT data unencrypted, and
> technically "free-2-air" data?  Granted, the sat-to-cable listings
> associations aren't easy.
>
> What is the legality, really?  Not being sarcastic, I really don't
> know.  What each individual media source is planning to broadcast is
> something they advertise, promote, and want the world to know.

TMS provides additional information (like show descriptions) which
are copyrighted by TMS. They also have a right to charge for the data
collection from broadcast stations all over the country and
redistributing according to their agreements with broadcasters, but
the real value is in the copyrighted content they create.