[mythtv-users] USB IR receiver for Harmony remote

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:27:24 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:
> I also have a Harmony remote but choosing the optimum configuration for
> MythTV is a real challenge. It is clear from the "real" devices I have
> programmed it to talk to there is a wide range in its ability to emulate
> them. Similarly, the sample lirc files indicate a wide range in their
> ability to listen to various remotes. The search for the best lirc
> configuration to listen to the best Harmony emulation is too big for a
> human and I can't see how to apply a computer to the task.

I too have a Harmony (550 I think), and have wondered the same thing
for a while.  I currently have mine configured as a Hauppauge, but
have run out of buttons for some of the useful functions I would like
to include.  The key is finding a good remote (or even IR keyboard!)
emulation that has lots of buttons (earlier in the thread someone
mentioned the Sky Navigator?).  But for example in my situation, I am
actually using the Hauppauge receiver too, which doesn't listen to a
whole lot of codes.  So I'm limited until I pony up for a new
receiver, then it's on to find a good selection in the Harmony db with
lots of buttons.

- Willy