[mythtv-users] USB IR receiver for Harmony remote

David Segall david at segall.net
Tue Aug 7 15:22:07 UTC 2007

Mike LaPlante wrote:
> Jay Mallar wrote:
>> Here's some links for IR receivers I'm considering...
>>
>> USB-IRT
>> http://www.usbuirt.com/overview.htm
>> --
>> -Jay
>>

> Thanks Jay, those look ideal, except for the $50 price tag, the
> remote+receiver combos seem to be $30-$40. The other question would be
> if those are in the Harmony database.
The Harmony database does not contain receivers it contains
transmitters. You can install a Microsoft receiver and tell your Harmony
that it is a Hauppauge remote as long as you tell MythTV that it is
listening to a Hauppauge remote by using the appropriate lirc files.

I also have a Harmony remote but choosing the optimum configuration for
MythTV is a real challenge. It is clear from the "real" devices I have
programmed it to talk to there is a wide range in its ability to emulate
them. Similarly, the sample lirc files indicate a wide range in their
ability to listen to various remotes. The search for the best lirc
configuration to listen to the best Harmony emulation is too big for a
human and I can't see how to apply a computer to the task.