[mythtv-users] USB IR receiver for Harmony remote (Jay Mallar)

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 21:11:27 UTC 2007

> Mike LaPlante wrote:
<snip--edited for brevity>

>> I've ordered a Harmony remote but I need
>> some advice  > on a USB IR receiver

>> So I was hoping instead of spending $30-$40 on
>> a remote w/receiver
>> package I could spend a bit less and get just
>> the receiver.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

> Here's some links for IR receivers I'm
considering...

> USB-IRT
> http://www.usbuirt.com/overview.htm

> --
> -Jay

Jay, Mike,

I have a Harmony remote, USB-UIRT transceiver, and a
2nd generation MS MCE remote.  The official MS MCE
remote is a pretty good value ($35 US, locally vs.
$50+shipping for USB-UIRT)--even if you just stash
the remote control away as a backup and never use
it.  However, I've also found the stock Harmony
keycodes are not always correct or complete so
it's nice to have the original remote on hand
to "teach" your Harmony remote too.  The MS MCE
remote comes with two IR blasters, one of which
I've programmed using LIRC to change the channels
on my cable STB.  They are very low power LEDs,
however, and must be placed directly on the IR
receiver window of the STB.

The USB-UIRT transceiver worked well with Hip
(Windows). I've heard it works well with LIRC but I've
never tried it.  The blaster is much more powerful
than the MCE blasters, but I found it can't be
optimally positioned to be both a receiver and a
blaster at the same time--at least not given the
geometric relationships between my home theater
components.  Positioning the low power individual MCE
blasters has worked out better for me.

I think the only value better than the MCE remote
hardware is to build your IR tranmitters and receiver
yourself!

-Cal