[mythtv-users] Anyone have any luck running Myth in VMWare?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 01:27:58 UTC 2007

> On Sunday 05 August 2007 18:44, Matt Emmott wrote:
> > I just installed MythDora in a VM on my Windows host. It's the latest
> > VMWare server with the latest VMWare tools. However, video performance
> > isn't that great. Myth runs, but videos are very choppy - Sound is
> > consistent but I'm probably not getting more than 5 frames per second.
> > Dragging windows around in X is a little sluggish as well.
>
> I'd guess VMware does not give your guest OS direct access to the video
> hardware, and you are getting just frame buffer performance, but that's
> just
> a guess.
>
> "Windows" and "MythTV" are pretty much much like oil and water, IMHO.
>
> You could try running Linux, with Windows under VMware.

That makes sense. This was a test run for a friend - He's building his
Windows PC that he also wants to use as a Myth FE. I wanted to test the
feasibility of running it in a VM, but I guess now it's starting to look
like it might not be possible. If anybody else has had experience I'd love
to hear about it.