[mythtv-users] MySQL and remote FEs

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 00:17:28 UTC 2007

On 05/08/07, Lan Barnes <lan at falleagle.net> wrote:
> I now believe I've done all these steps and still no success. More
> interleaved.
>
> On Sat, August 4, 2007 6:24 pm, Nick Morrott wrote:
> > On all of the concerned machines, check the contents of the following
> files to ensure they all agree with the source of SQL database (note you
> may not have the first file if you run mythbackend as root with a
> defined $HOME, and you need to amend the last path to reflect the UNIX
> user that you run mythfrontend as):
> >
> > /.mythtv/mysql.txt
> > /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> > /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> >

> All three of these files existed as described and had as their content:
>
> DBHostName=localhost
> DBUserName=mythtv
> DBPassword=mythtv
> DBName=mythconverg
> DBType=QMYSQL3
>
> In all three I hand edited (as root) the first line to be:
>
> DBHostName=xena
>
> > All of these files should point to the real IP address of the DB host,
> with the correct user/pass information.
> >

> They should resolve. /etc/hosts on xena contains:
>
> 192.168.1.69  xena
>
> QUESTION:
>
> Do I need to configure a localdomain for this network to make all this
> work? I haven't bothered in the past.

I just checked my mysql user table for any clues. The only further
advice I can see is to add permissions for both IP and hostnames for
MythTV users:

mysql> SELECT Host, User, Password FROM `user` WHERE `User` = 'mythtv';
+-------------+--------+------------------+
| Host        | User   | Password         |
+-------------+--------+------------------+
| %.home      | mythtv | <removed> |
| 192.168.1.% | mythtv | <removed> |
| localhost   | mythtv | <removed> |

Maybe another grant statement adding individual hostnames (or a domain
wildcard) may help? I reckon if you specify an IP in mysql.txt MySQL
will look for grants on IP, and if you specify a hostname you require
grants for hostname too.

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: