[mythtv-users] MySQL and remote FEs

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sun Aug 5 14:28:39 UTC 2007

I now believe I've done all these steps and still no success. More
interleaved.

On Sat, August 4, 2007 6:24 pm, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 05/08/07, Lan Barnes <lan at falleagle.net> wrote:
>> I'm trying to get remote FEs to connect to play videos and recordings.
I had this working once, then upgraded my Mythdora and lost it, but
ignored the issue till now because I just hard wired (cat 5) my BE to
the
>> hub. The wireless was OK for mythfilldatabase, but stuttered and shook on
>> recording playback over the network.
>> Here is what I remember and have tried.
>> 1. I granted permissions 'all' on mythconverg.* to user mythtv coming from
>> 192.168.1.% and confirmed that remote machines can mysql in over the net.
>> I also spilled the table that shows my grant worked.
>
> If you log in to a remote SQL server on the network, it's more than like
a MythTV configuration issue.

>> 2. I configured the BE to see itself as 192.168.1.69 and also tried its
name, xena (a mythical TV character, this being my weak whimsy) because
that's in /etc/hosts. No joy either way.

> If you run
>
> mysql> SELECT * FROM `settings` where value like '%ServerIP%';

Output is as you describe:

mysql> SELECT * FROM `settings` where value like '%ServerIP%';
+-----------------+----------------+----------+
| value           | data           | hostname |
+-----------------+----------------+----------+
| BackendServerIP | 192.168.1.69   | xena     |
| MasterServerIP  | 192.168.1.69   | NULL     |
+-----------------+----------------+----------+
2 rows in set (0.05 sec)

> from the mysql prompt you will get a list of the stored IP address and
which hostnames they are recorded against. Changing IPs and hostnames
can cause such problems (I helped the other day on IRC with the exact
same issue)

> You need to ensure that the MasterServerIP entry is correct for the
_master_ backend (note no hostname associated with this entry. There are
also BackendServerIP entries for each backend on the network, which have
both IP and hostname recorded. These entries are configured via
mythtv-setup on each backend.

My main box, xena, is a combined FE/BE, so this looks correct to me.

>> 3. I configured the FE on xena to look for mythconverg on
>> 192.168.1.69/xena
>> The results: when I reboot xena the FE on the FE/BE box can no longer
connect with mysql. I had to return everything to localhost before my
family returned and demanded ScoobeyDoo.

> On all of the concerned machines, check the contents of the following
files to ensure they all agree with the source of SQL database (note you
may not have the first file if you run mythbackend as root with a
defined $HOME, and you need to amend the last path to reflect the UNIX
user that you run mythfrontend as):

> /.mythtv/mysql.txt
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt

All three of these files existed as described and had as their content:

DBHostName=localhost
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=mythtv
DBName=mythconverg
DBType=QMYSQL3

In all three I hand edited (as root) the first line to be:

DBHostName=xena

> All of these files should point to the real IP address of the DB host,
with the correct user/pass information.

They should resolve. /etc/hosts on xena contains:

192.168.1.69  xena

QUESTION:

Do I need to configure a localdomain for this network to make all this
work? I haven't bothered in the past.

> Once all of these entries are consistent with each other and your local
network settings, you should be up and running.

Should be, but not.

I think while I wait for input I'll try:

1. configuring a localdomain

2. maybe making the mysql.txt lines

  DBHostName=192.168.1.69

But I'm not optimistic on either.

> Also note that mythfrotnend allows you to use a custom identifier to
store settings instead of using the hostname of the machine at the time
the setting was created. This is ideal for installations when a
machine's hostname can change without warning (or through playing :) )
and should help to alleviate problems where settings don't seem to
stick.

I read about that, but see no need to go that route of a small, static
home network. Cool feature, though.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer