[mythtv-users] OT: Help selecting PCI SATA card

Harry Orenstein holists at verizon.net
Sun Aug 5 02:38:06 UTC 2007

This is definitely off topic for this list, but I think that this is a good
place to ask, so...

I have a MB (Asus A7V8X-X) that does not have SATA ports and only supports PCI
cards.  I want to add storage to be able to keep more recorded programs, so I
bought a 500GB SATA HD.  The question is, what is the best SATA chipset for
PCI?  My choices are either a no-name SIL3112 card, a no-name VIA6421 card or
a Promise S150-TX2plus.

Between these choices, does anyone have a suggestion?  I run FC6 and plan on
going to F7 or F8 eventually, if that makes any difference.  My concerns are
what is currently best supported by libata and what will be best supported by
libata in the future.  I fully intend to eventually upgrade my MB and go to
onboard SATA, but until then...

TIA!!

-- Harry O.