[mythtv-users] Dual Core or Dual CPU??

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 4 18:20:31 UTC 2007

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 02:29:32PM +0100, GyroTech wrote:
> I'm looking to kit out a fairly beefy back-end, dealing with MythTV and
> a file server. It's going to have a PCI-E RAID5 card in it (RocketRAID
> seems to be a good choice there)and two, perhaps four, DVB-T tuner cards
> in it. All the front ends will be FE-only boxes, maybe even diskless.

My understanding is that none of the Highpoint cards (or other cheap
consumer IDE/SATA RAID controllers) are hardware RAID. Most of them use
a software driver for the actual RAID and just have a bootable BIOS that
knows how to read the proprietary, undocumented layout they use on disk.

If you want an actual hardware RAID card you should look in to the
higher-end products from companies like LSI Logic, 3ware, or Areca. You
get what you pay for, so be prepared to spend quite a bit on one of
these. You probably don't really need one.

--
Michael Heironimus