Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Aug 4 10:16:36 UTC 2007

Tom Dexter wrote:
>> From: "Mark A. Hoover"
>>
>> I've held off on my laundry lists of purchases as well.  Considering I'm
>> looking at almost $1000 in components, that's a lot of money to spend
>> with
>> an uncertain future looming.
>
> I sprung for my first mythtv system (separate backend/frontend, 3 tuner,
> 1 TB...about $1200) and got it up and running literally weeks before the
> zap2it announcement.  Just gotta hope for the best at this point.
>
> Tom

Guys...it's the end of zap2it, not the end of the world. Welcome to the kind of
service that mythtv users in other parts of the world are used to.

Your systems may not have access in the future to all the bells and whistles
they might have had, had zap2it continued, but they will probably give you more
functionality than any old DVR might.

Wait and see what the devs can cook up. Meantime, you had a lot of fun building
your systems, no? I find it much more interesting, and much more stimulating,
putting together my own systems, to get them right, the way *I* want them rather
than opening a cardboard carton and installing an anonymous box that does half
of what I need.

I understand that others may not have the time to do their own thing. In that
case, you go for whatever works. Done it myself sometimes. But I don't get any
satisfaction from doing things that way, rather create my own systems that do
what *I* want them to.

Mike Perkins