[mythtv-users] mysql permissions problem (long lines of mysql dataquoted)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Aug 4 09:58:25 UTC 2007

Tom Dexter wrote:

> Try the following from a command line on the new frontend, where
> nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the ip address of the backend:
>
> mysql -h nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn -u mythtv -p mythconverg
>
> ...and enter the password when you get a prompt.  If you get an error, reply
> with it and we can go from there.  That will tell us if it's a mysql
> password issue or something else.  It might not be related to grant privs at
> all.  If mysql is bound th 'localhost' in the my.cnf file, that can allow
> connections from localhost but nowhere else on the lan.  For example, I had
> to change the default of:
>
> bind-address                            = 127.0.0.1
>
> ...to...
>
> bind-address                             = 192.168.1.51
>
> ...on my backend in the my.cnf file or it flat out refused connections.

On my previous mythtv installation things ran without a problem until one day
I rebooted my front end and got stonewalled by mysql. Bit of poking around and
I discovered that the system had switched from using IP addresses to using
hostnames for no obvious reason. If you don't have hostnames in your  mysql
tables (as I didn't) you aren't going to get in. In the end I did belt and
braces - added GRANT clauses for every IP address on my LAN (no wildcards, it
didn't take any notice of them) and clauses for every hostname, qualified and
unqualified. No problems since :).

Mike Perkins