[mythtv-users] What Are My Options To Purchase A IR Receiver From UK?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:34:10 UTC 2007

On 03/08/07, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've used my homebrew serial IR receivers with several remotes
> > (currently using RC-5 based Hauppauge ones and a RC-6 Sky Navigator
> > remote), each with no problems. The serial IR receivers can place a
> > load on the system when receiving, but if you have an available serial
> > port, they are a very cheap, supported by the lirc_serial driver, and
> > should work with most remotes. Unlike the Hauppauge IR receivers (RC-5
> > based), they are not limited to receiving only certain IR
> > codesets/protocols.
>
> I assume you are UK based as you are using Sky remotes.  Could you
> tell me where I can get the parts to build a receiver from?  I have
> tried Maplin but I just can't find the parts people recommend?
> Probably not searching for the correct terms can you help?  It would
> also be great if you could post a link to the circuit diagram you used
> so I know it works?

I bought a couple some years ago from zapway.de when I didn't have the
time to build them and source parts - sadly they are no longer taking
end-user orders.

Circuit diagrams are available from LIRC
(http://lirc.org/receivers.html) and there is a useful pictorial
writeup of building an IR receive at
http://www.manoweb.com/alesan/lirc/circuit.html. A quick search shows
you should be able to pick up a suitable IR receiver module (TSOP
1738) from http://www.mutr.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1094.
Just make sure you get a 38kHz module suitable for your 38kHz remote
controls!

--
Nick

MythTV Official wiki: