[mythtv-users] DVB-S Card for mythtv in the UK

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Fri Aug 3 13:57:58 UTC 2007

On Fri, August 3, 2007 2:38 pm, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Duncan Brown wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> I've been using mythtv with DVB-T for a few years now, but I've recently
>> moved into a new flat with a ready installed sky dish. As it is there, I
>> figured I might as well use it for the FTA channels available.
>>
>> Can someone recommend me a PCI card to use? I wont need any kind of CAM,
>> as I don't plan on ever subscribing.
>>
>> Am I right in thinking that (like DVB-T cards) they are all pretty
>> similar as long as you have a decent signal?
>>
> I think what you are talking about is called Freesat. You do need a
> card, I think it's a one-off cost of £20 or so from Sky. It's their
> satellite, so they charge, even for the free-to-air channels. And thus
> you will need a CAM to put it in. The free-to-air stuff is still
> encoded, but not encrypted like the pay-to-view stuff. That's why you
> need the card.
>
> Mike Perkins

Thats not /quite/ right.  You can get some channels for free.  What you
don't get (without the card) is Channel 4, Five, E4, and some other
"lesser" channels.

I read somewhere that as of next year, Channel4's contract with Sky comes
to an end, at which point is is expected to move from FTV (free-to-view)
to FTA (free-to-air), making it "free" as well.

Robert.