[mythtv-users] DVB-S Card for mythtv in the UK

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Aug 3 13:38:04 UTC 2007

Duncan Brown wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I've been using mythtv with DVB-T for a few years now, but I've recently
> moved into a new flat with a ready installed sky dish. As it is there, I
> figured I might as well use it for the FTA channels available.
>
> Can someone recommend me a PCI card to use? I wont need any kind of CAM,
> as I don't plan on ever subscribing.
>
> Am I right in thinking that (like DVB-T cards) they are all pretty
> similar as long as you have a decent signal?

I think what you are talking about is called Freesat. You do need a
card, I think it's a one-off cost of £20 or so from Sky. It's their
satellite, so they charge, even for the free-to-air channels. And thus
you will need a CAM to put it in. The free-to-air stuff is still
encoded, but not encrypted like the pay-to-view stuff. That's why you
need the card.

Mike Perkins