[mythtv-users] Bunch of MythArchive questions / problems

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 29 16:23:01 UTC 2007

John Drescher wrote:
>> As my standalone DVD player does not read RW blanks, I would prefer to
>> fix as many of these things as possible before cutting a new +R blank.
>> (At about $1/each, it's not the end of the world, but they could add up
>> fast.)  Therefore, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
> $1 each? Are you in canada? Or are you talking about dual layer disks?
>  I buy 100 packs of quality DVD+R disks for around $33 US.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817507003

Not bad, but as I said I've found them for half that. The retail Office
stores often have them on sale. They can be a bit odd, I have often
found them in 3 different locations in the store, with only one spot
marked with the sale price. Even Radio Shack sometimes has closeout
deals that are better than the online stores, and, mush as I hesitate to
mention them, Walmart often undersells the "discount" vendors, and their
large-volume partner Sam's Club sometimes does even better.

Don't wait 'till you need them to buy them, you will be stuck paying
whatever price you find. Keep your eyes open and grab 100 or more when
you see a good price, so you'll always have plenty on hand.

Compatibility is always an issue. I have 4 or 5 people that I burn disks
for and I have to keep track of whose player will handle what type of
disk, and which players seem to be sensitive to the burn speed.

As I said, an art more than a science.