[mythtv-users] XvMC causes Program Guide to crash

Ryan Rustong ryan.rustong at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 21:41:50 UTC 2007

I've been trying to get my MythTV box working smoothly for awhile now and I
think I'm almost there.  I finally got HD and SD to play smoothly, but only
by using XvMC for the HD.  The problem I have now run into, is that XvMC
seems to cause my computer to hang (only a hard reset works) when I enter
the program guide.  When I first set it up, XvMC didn't seem to work well,
so I tried all the recommended xvmc tweaks and how-to's, and I think what
finally got it working properly was to uninstall my nvidia drivers and
reinstall using Envy.  Now the video plays smooth and I see about 40% CPU
usage while watching HD and commercial flagging at the same time.  I used
the "tweak" to only use XvMC when watching HD, so I can now enter the
program guide successfully while watching SD, and change channels as long as
I don't go to my HD card.  To summarize, it seems any time I either go from
the Program Guide to live tv on my HD card or from live tv on the HD card to
the program guide my system completely locks up.  Doing the same while using
my SD card does not cause any problems.

Here's my Setup:

Ubuntu 6.10 (i386)
MythTV .20
ASUS A8V-Deluxe motherboard (VIA K8T800 chipset)
Athlon 64 3400+
PVR-150 for SD
Kworld ATSC-110 for HD
GeForce 5200 using DVI out to LCD TV

I'm just as new to linux as I am to MythTV, so I am sure there is more
information that would help troubleshoot this, problem is I don't know what
that info is.  If there are any logs or settings that would be helpful, let
me know which ones and I'll post them.  I just started seeing sites talking
about problems with the VIA chipset, but they don't seem to be the same
problem as mine.  Hopefully I accurately described my problem and someone
out there has some insight for me.