[mythtv-users] boot off compact flash. Recordings & SQL DB on same drive?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 28 10:57:16 UTC 2007

Thanks for your reply, Bob.

On 28 Apr 2007, at 04:09, Bob wrote:
>> Because if I need to put / on a separate hard-drive then my
>> choices are:
>> - buy an 80gig hard-drive (the smallest currently available new)
>> for / and leave it mostly empty
>> - find an old 20gig - 40gig drive lying around & use that.
>>
>> In either of these cases it seems to me that having two hard-drives
>> running will be noisier than having merely one. An older drive that I
>> had lying around is likely to be older and particularly noisy!!
>>
>> Using a CFcard would therefore seem to reduce noise somewhat. I can
>> accept having a single hard-drive operating when I am watching TV,
>> but I would prefer to reduce the number of other components making
>> noise.
>>

> I'd do what I suggest in this thread
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/265064#265064
> put /etc and a few of the more static mount points on a CF card
> with the rest on a Fujitsu 200GB 4200RPM laptop harddrive.
> if you put /etc and a few of the more static mount points on a CF card
> with the rest on a Fujitsu 200 you could then use LVM to join
> whatever's
> left of that drive with another, probably resulting in around 390GB of
> storage for recordings, that consume less than 5w"

Off the top of my head (it's early here, and I've only just poured my
second cup of tea) I take "a few of the more static mount points" to
mean everything except /var - logging & MySQL database.

So I've partitioned the 200gig drive into 10gig for those & 190gig
for recordings - that leaves the MySQL database on the same drive as
recordings. Does this not create a problem?

I'm sure that I had read that accesses to the MySQL database had
caused glitches during recording for some people. Is this correct?
Does it only apply to HD?

Stroller.