[mythtv-users] Black screen on new frontend during playback

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 23:12:51 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> > On 4/23/07, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Maybe some more info that can help out:
> >>
> >> I just installed mplayer and I _can_ get video to play on that no
> >> problem... so, here's what I know:
> >>
> >> 1) mythtv will show the preview in the recordings menu
> >> 2) mythtv will not show video when played (standard mpeg decoder/ffmpeg)
> >> 3) mplayer will show video - I did not use any flags
> >> 4) tried several different versions of the nvidia binary driver as
> >> well as some of the ubuntu packages.  All had the same result
> >>
> >> So... this is where I throw it back to the brilliant minds of the
> >> mythtv community.  HELP PLEASE! :-D
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Matt
> >>

> > Still can't find anything... any other info I can help provide?
> > Daniel, any wisdom you might be able to share?
>
> Somehow/somewhere you have a problem with your Xorg setup. Most likely
> your /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file is not correct, or the myth configure
> setup was wrong on compiling. (It's easiest to just enable every Xv type
>   switch and let the configure script figure out which you can actually
> use..but you must have your nvidia or via driver correctly installed to
> start with).
>
> Myth is rather sensitive to the correct xvmc setup, because it uses that
> capability quite seriously. You can even have myth working in the Watch
> Recordings screen, *with previews* and still get the black screen when
> you attempt to play a recording. (AND, it blasts CPU usage to 100% and
> it takes a while to recover).
>
> Been There Done That... and recently too....
>
> Geoff
>
> --
>               R. Geoffrey Newbury
>             Barrister and Solicitor
>        Suite 106, 150 Lakeshore Road West
>           Mississauga, Ontario, L5H 3R2
>
>          o905-271-9600 f905-271-1638
>            newbury at mandamus.org
>
>         Helping with the HTTP issue

Thanks Geoff... I think you're probably right with your assumptions
about making sure nvidia/xvmc/xorg is all correct before trying to
compile and install myth.  I finally gave up, and after my THIRD
rebuild, finally got everything working.  Not to mention the time it
finally worked was on x64... and here I thought I was playing it safe
by sticking with the 32-bit version of the OS.

Anyway, I still can't say for sure what was wrong... but it works now.

I do still have some other problems, but those are for a different
e-mail thread :)

Thanks!
Matt