[mythtv-users] Can you clone X output to different inputs of a single display?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 26 12:23:02 UTC 2007

On 04/26/2007 08:01 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I have a plasma TV which has VGA and HDMI inputs. Is it possible to
> config xorg.conf so that it does a clone twinview through the VGA and
> DVI outputs of my nVidia card to the the VGA and HDMI inputs of the
> TV?

You won't get video on both displays.  It will be video on one and a
blue or black or green or ... screen on the other.

> Why do I want to do this? Because the picture with HDMI input looks
> great, but there's too much overscan for the Shift-Alt-F1 console to
> be usable. Whereas with VGA the picture's not so great but the console
> works well. If there's another way of sorting out my console with HDMI
> input that would may be better - this is just one idea I had.

The best bet is to adjust your TV for the input you decide to use.

Use you're TV's scaling with HDMI to "shrink" the picture or use X
modelines to put an 1820x1030 (or whatever) image inside a 1920x1080
signal (or whatever).

Or, figure out why you have a bad VGA picture (running the VGA cable
next to a power cable, using a bad VGA cable (which could be a cheap
cable or an expensive cable), placebo effect (if it's not digital it's
not good)).  The difference between VGA and DVI/HDMI output should not
be noticeable if each is properly configured.

I highly recommend checking avsforum.com (and ignoring all the digital
is always better than analog stuff) to find the appropriate
configuration for your TV.

Mike