[mythtv-users] Looking to set up a new Myth Box.

Chris Funk cfunk30myth at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 22:25:58 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, Shiloh Madsen <shiloh.madsen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, but I think I may be misreading this...correct me if I am wrong.
> Does this mean that I would have to set the satellite box to the
> station I want to record, then just have myth capture directly from
> the stream it is sending? That would essentially make mythTV a
> glorified VCR...and a dumb one at that. My desire is to be able to use
> the interface to say record this show on this channel, this show on
> that channel, etc, etc and let the mythtv box change to whatever
> channel it needs to be recording from on a given time. Does the setup
> you suggest allow for this? The description seems to indicate no...
>
> On 4/25/07, Cole Brodine <cbrodine at gmail.com> wrote:

> am
> the
> few
> it

> > > Shiloh,
> > >
> > > I'm capturing Directv via the svideo and L/R out of a directv set top
> > > box.  So, yes, it *is* possible to capture from a satellite service,
> you
> > > just can't capture *directly* from it, like you do an antenna or cable
> > > source.  You need to have a set top box to receive and decode the
> > > signal, then, transmit *that* to a capture card.
> > >
> > > To do HD from satellite is *expensive*, and requires a modified set
> top
> > > box, and an intermediate box (basically an XP or Linux box, depending
> on
> > > the solution), which *then* transmitts the signal via Firewire to
> Myth.
> > >
> > > In my setup, I'm using a PVR-150 from Hauppauge to capture the
> > > svideo/audio out from a DirecTV satellite receiver, 1 PVR-500 to
> handle
> > > cable stations, and 2 HD Homeruns for HD content (unencrypted,
> broadcast
> > > channels over cable).
> > >
> > > Hope that helps somewhat.
> > >
> > > Brian
> > >

> > Shiloh,
> >
> > I had a big e-mail all written up, but Brain beat me to the punch.  I've
> got
> > almost the exact same system as him for DirecTV, except I have a
> PVR-250.  A
> > nice thing about the DirecTV boxes, is that some of them take serial
> inputs,
> > so you don't need an IR blaster.  Satellite and Myth are definitely
> doable,
> > especially if you don't care about HD content.
> >
> > Hope that helps you!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Cole Brodine
> > Visit My Website at http://www.brodine.com/
> > Blog: http://rabbitinhiding.blogspot.com/
> > ICQ: 5857320
> > Skype: cbrodine
> > yahoo: brodinec
> > MSN: brodinec at yahoo.com
> >

> --
> Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the
> shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and
> [...]

Yes, you are kinda reading it wrong.  You could do it that way, but as you
say that would make it pretty dumb.  Using an IR Blaster or a serial cable
hooked up to the myth box and the Sat box, myth will change the channel on
the box to whatever you are wanting to record/watch, then record the stream.

HTH.

Chris