[mythtv-users] Removing unwanted channels - lots of them!

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:06:18 UTC 2007

Thanks Ben.....

On 4/25/07, Ben Lancaster <lists at benlancaster.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'm in the UK and using the xmltv grabber to get the channel
> > listing data from Radio Times HQ. I have a uk_rt.xmltv file with
> > 260 entries!
>
> The mistake you made was choosing "all" when you did the initial
> xmltv_rt setup, rather then selectively choose the channels available
> to freeview.

I assume I cannot just run mythtv-setup again and correct this?

> Remove the additional channels from your xmltv file and you won't see
> them again.

So deleting them from the uk_rt.xmltv file will fix my problem?

> > I have two identical digital/freeview tuner cards in. When I look
> > at the EPG in myth I see a lot of channels (even more in the
> > Mythweb listings it seems) most of these channels I cannot receive.
>
> This is because you'll have lots of channels on your channels table
> in mythconverg that have a channum of 0. Easiest thing to do is
> "delete * from `channels` WHERE `channum` = 0"
>
> If you have entries that are in your xmltv conf but not in your
> channels table, MythTV will insert them back into the channels table
> next time your run mythfilldatabase. Here's the channels I have
> listed in my xmltv.conf for Freeview in the UK:

So if I do the above, ie remove the entries I do not want from
uk_rt.xmltv, they will still be in the databse? Does this mean I have
to remove them one by one from the database still??

> channel news-24.bbc.co.uk
> channel parliament.bbc.co.uk
> channel south.bbc1.bbc.co.uk
> channel south.bbc2.bbc.co.uk
> channel choice.bbc.co.uk
> channel knowledge.bbc.co.uk
> channel bid-up.tv
> channel cbbc.bbc.co.uk
> channel cbeebies.bbc.co.uk
> channel citv.itv.co.uk
> channel channel4.com
> channel e4.channel4.com
> channel plus-1.e4.channel4.com
> channel filmfour.channel4.com
> channel plus-1.filmfour.channel4.com
> channel channel5.co.uk
> channel life.channel5.co.uk
> channel us.channel5.co.uk
> channel ftn.tv
> channel meridian.tv.co.uk
> channel itv2.itv.co.uk
> channel itv3.itv.co.uk
> channel itv4.itv.co.uk
> channel idealworld.tv
> channel more4.channel4.com
> channel price-drop.tv
> channel qvcuk.com
> channel sky-news.sky.com
> channel news.sports.sky.com
> channel sky-three.sky.com
> channel tmf.nl
> channel dvb.teachers.tv
> channel the-hits.emap.com
> channel ukbrightideas.tv
> channel ukhistory.tv
>
> Some channels don't have listings on RT, namely:
>
> bid tv
> ITV2 +1
> smileTV
> Community
> Teachers' TV
> BBC Radio 1
> 1Xtra BBC
> BBC Radio 2
> BBC Radio 3
> BBC Radio 4
> BBC R5 Live
> BBC 5L SportsX
> BBC 6 Music
> BBC 7
> BBC Asian Net.
> BBC World Sv.
> The Hits Radio
> Smash Hits!
> Kiss
> heat
> Magic
> oneword
> smooth fm
> MOJO
> Kerrang!
> talkSPORT
> 3C
> Premier Radio
> Virgin Radio

Hmmm, I dont see any listings for Five? One or two others too.

Thanks
Mike