[mythtv-users] Please recommend hardware for caller id via MythTV

Skip Patterson hunchbehr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:26:18 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, Michael Rice <mikerice1969 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'd really like to display caller id info on my Myth boxes but I lack the
> necessary hardware.  I don't think I've had a machine with a modem for 7
> years or so.
>
> I've searched the web to try to find some recent info on this but haven't
> had much luck.  Info on modems seems very old and I have no idea what
> modem
> I'd need to buy today that would work on Linux for this purpose.
>
> Since I really don't need the modem for anything other than caller id info
> maybe there is another solution besides a modem?
>
> In any case I have just the standard US phone system (no VoIP or anything
> special).
>
> Can someone who has accomplished this recently give me the details on your
> hardware (and a link to where I can buy it).  I am pretty confident I can
> figure out the software side if I can get the right hardware.  I'll update
> the wiki if I am successful.
>
> Thanks.

Personally I'd check this out :
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_MythNotify

Thats more or less the easiest way to go,  and from past experience I would
recommend an external hardware modem (internal can work and even some
software ones will work but the external serial ones work best).  I picked
up an older USR 33.6 data/fax and have it working great.

Personally i'm using elseed + yac to broadcast to my xbox and windows
machines and send me an email when a call comes in though I did have to
modify the source to get that working....Reason I did that is I don't have a
mythfrontend per say, my backend runs headless and I use an xbox for the
frontend with xbmcmythtv.

Anyway check that link out and it should give you what you need and is
fairly easy to do, some of the other links from other posters will work but
seem to be more expensive/complicated.