[mythtv-users] HDTV antenna quandry

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 25 01:51:10 UTC 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Mark wrote:

> Maybe one of you guys has run into this before...
>
> I'm planning on moving to HDHOMERUN boxes in the near future, but I
> have
> a dilemma.  I have multiple stations nearby, Lansing 30 miles to
> the north,
> Kalamazoo 45 miles west, and Detroit 60 miles East.  I need higher
> gain
> antennas pointed in multiple directions.  I could do it with a rotor,
> but then I might miss
> a show on a channel where the antenna isn't pointed.  Best bet is
> separate antennas.  Can antenna feeds for digital broadcasts be
> combined
> with a splitter/combiner?
> Or should I run each antenna feed to a separate hdhomerun and play
> with
> channel/input  priorities until it works right? Currently this is my
> only avenue for recording HD.
> Cable and Sat don't carry what I want.
>
> Thoughts?

I use two antennae pointing in opposite directions going to a
combiner into my pcHDTV-5500 and can now get all the channels I want
in my area. This might be luck of the draw, though. Since you will
have two tuners, you might give this a shot by combining the signals,
then splitting again into each tuner to see if both tuners can get
all channels. If it doesn't work out, just get some channels on one,
the rest on the other and be thankful you have two tuners. :)