[mythtv-users] Starting from scratch ..yet again. Ubunto to Kubuntu for me I think.

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 09:27:06 UTC 2007

Bill Williamson wrote:
> On 4/23/07, Damian Surr <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've been using Ubuntu and having lots of graphics card problems. I
>> seemed to break things recently (with the OS, not Myth), so in
>> desperation I installed the Kubuntu-Desktop on top. This went ok and I
>> actually solved some of the graphics problems I've had for months in
>> about an hour. This made me feel that although I was wanting to stay
>> with the bigger user base of Ubuntu, I think I'll stay with Kubuntu as
>> it seems more configurable.
>>
>> Then a couple of days later they went and released a new Kubuntu and the
>> upgrade died at 34%. Computer now wont boot so I'm going to format and
>> start from scratch. I don't mind this really as the system was feeling
>> very 'dirty'/ill configured so starting with a clean slate feels better.
>>
>> Before I dive in, I was just wondering if anyone had any last minute
>> advice. Mainly on partition and the use of Kubuntu as opposed to Ubuntu.
>>

> Kubuntu is a package for Ubuntu, not a seperate distribution.  It does
> not replace the core, and should not effect graphics card problems in
> any way (except that it uses KDE instead of Gnome).  You likely have
> something else flakey going on and it has nothing to do with your
> kubuntu vs stock ubuntu experience...

Hello Bill,

I know that Kubuntu and Ubuntu have the same core, just different window
managers. I guess what I was saying is that I could find settings in KDE
that enabled me to change a graphics setting that I simply couldn't find
in Gnome. So, as I feel the need to start from scratch, I intent to
install Kubuntu, and not Ubuntu (in effect it's just the KDE
distribution of Ubuntu, but it is a completely separate distribution.
Gnome wont be on my system unless I later install it.

Damian