[mythtv-users] Update on HD and XvMC

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Mon Apr 23 02:37:00 UTC 2007

David Frascone wrote:
> William Munson wrote:
>
>> David Frascone wrote:
>>

>> This is a bit of a guess but the same change made a significant
>> improvement in my system performance. Add the following to your
>> /etc/syscntrl.conf
>>
>> vm.dirty_expire_centisecs = 300
>> vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs = 50
>>
>>  From what I understand these control how long the drives wait to do a
>> delayed write. Improves latency.
>>

> This is starting to look more and more ilke a hdhomerun issue -- Is
> anyone using HDHomerun with seperate front and backends -- from svn?

So -- I disable XvMC, and everything works fine.  I don't know if XvMC
takes too much memory (more than my 512mb).  I tried enabling swap via a
network block device -- but it doesn't seem to matter.  Regular playback
works though.

I also moved from my GeForce 5200 to the GeForce4 Ti 4600 with the HDMI
out (and a HDMI to DVI converter thingie).  I still couldn't get
resolutions more than 1024x768 though.

So -- When my 2Gb gets here, I'll try with XvMC again (sometimes live HD
is choppy) -- I'll keep ya posted.

-Dave