[mythtv-users] boot off compact flash

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Apr 22 03:08:56 UTC 2007

On 22 Apr 2007, at 00:47, Peter A. Daly wrote:

> http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/distribution/minimyth/compact-flash-
> install.html
>
> The method works well for a number of people for silent mythtv
> frontends.

Can anyone who is booting off compact flash tell me how they
"partition" their system, please?

Do you keep the sql database (/var/mysql or whatever) on the flash
drive, or just the o/s files?

I have a 4gig CFcard kicking around here which I thought to use for
this, but it was quite a cheap one, and probably quite slow. I don't
know how this would affect DB read-write access, or how DB read-write
access would affect the life of the card. Any comments?

I plan to use Gentoo for my MythTV system, rather than the MiniMyth
mentioned in the article you link to.
Gentoo's package manager (Portage) stores just under 100,000 small
files, about 1gig all together, as it's "package database" so I plan
to put /usr/portage/ on a small partition of one of my video disks
(as I plan not to perform upgrades during recording or playback).

Stroller.