[mythtv-users] Tv losing display after about 2 hours (dpms?)

catfish catfish at halfdone.com
Thu Apr 19 04:56:20 UTC 2007

Since I upgraded from FC4 to FC6 (via dvd) a few months ago my mythtv
box has been dropping the display (dpms?) from my tv after about 2
hours. I never seen a screen saver come up but I usually see it only
when I'm away from the tv or playing joystick based games. Remote
control buttons usually wakes it up.

I've gone over Jarod's guild and the archives without luck. Rich West
had a posting "disabling screensavers" that had the same issue and I
checked all the items listed there also.

My Setup:
- Shuttle nforce2 ath2100+
- Nvidia 4200Ti AGP using Svideo out (800x600)
- Pvr-350 (not using it's output)
- Standard tube tv (not hdtv) using SVideo
- Analog cable
- uname -r  2.6.20-1.2944.fc6
- mythbackend --version  0.20.20060828-3 (atrpms)
- nvidia 9631 (atrpms)
- FC6 using Gnome 2.16.3

What I've tried:
- BIOS has all power management, dmps...etc off.
- System->Preferences->More Preferences->Power Management->Running on
AC, both set to Never
- System->Preferences->Screensaver, active when idle disabled

- I also have a myth-load.sh script that gnome runs on startup
containing (some places says to use "-" some say "0" so I did both):
   #Disable dynamic power management (screen blanking)
     /usr/bin/xset -dpms
     /usr/bin/xset dpms 0
   #Disable screen saver
     /usr/bin/xset s 0
     /usr/bin/xset s noblank
     /usr/bin/xset s off

- Xorg.conf has:
Section "ServerFlags"
         Option      "blank time" "0"
         Option      "standby time" "0"
         Option      "suspend time" "0"
         Option      "off time" "0"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
#        Option      "dpms"
         Identifier   "TV0"
         VendorName   "RCA"
         ModelName    "27V530T 27in TV"
         DisplaySize  203        153
         HorizSync    30.0 - 50.0
         VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
         Option      "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
         #Set 100DPI for MythTV GUI
         Option      "DPI" "100 x 100"
EndSection
Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         VendorName  "MSI"
         BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4200-TD"
         Option      "NvAPG" "3"
         Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
         Option      "Overlay" "True"
         Option      "NoLogo" "1"
         #TV Stuff
         Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
         Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
         Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
         Option      "TVOverScan" "0.70"
EndSection

I don't have any other issues, opengl works fine, tv records and plays
without shuddering...etc. Did I miss anything?