[mythtv-users] blue screen issue

matt lutz myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 16:42:14 UTC 2007

On 4/18/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 04/18/2007 08:21 AM, matt lutz wrote:
> > I'm trying to use an old laptop with a busted LCD screen as a
> > front-end only device.  It's a p4 (2Ghz).  I loaded FC6 onto it and
> > most things seem to work okay.  Unfortunately when trying to watch
> > live tv or recorded programs, all I see is a blue screen.  All of the
> > menus & preview video is fine.
>
> Your video drivers only support Xv output on the first display (as do
> pretty much all of them--ATI, NVIDIA, ...).  Therefore, the /right/
> answer is to tell X /not/ to use the LCD (which becomes the first
> display).  Set up X to ignore the LCD and use /only/ the monitor.  This
> means, a default X configuration won't work.
>
> > When I try to watch a recorded video with mplayer, the same thing
> > happens.  However, if I do an "mplayer -vo gl [filename]" it plays
> > fine.  I'm assuming the two are related, and it's the xvmc
> > acceleration that's breaking things.  I started myth using "NO_XV=1
> > mythfrontend" and the video did play back, but it was pretty choppy.
>
> NO_XV means no Xv.  Granted, without Xv, XvMC is impossible, so it does
> disable XvMC, but you /need/ Xv support.
>
> > The laptop has an ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility graphics card.  Is there
> > anyway to tell myth to use the equivalent of "-vo gl" option in mplayer?
>
> There's no way that you want to use.
>
> Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the input.  I thought it might have something to do with that,
but my xorg.conf only references a single screen.  Here it is:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Synaptics"
        Driver      "synaptics"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Is there anything you can see that I would need?  Understand that I
physically ripped the LCD off of the laptop, so it may not be registering as
a valid output.

Thanks,
Matt