[mythtv-users] RFC: backend transcode on the fly

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Apr 17 16:13:20 UTC 2007

I've been kicking this around for a while and I figure I can air it out
and see what happens.

I have several front ends, none of which can display true HD.  At best
they do 1280x1024; my main LCD TV is 1280x720p.

AFAIK decoding of the stream from HD and rescaling to the display
resolution is the CPU intensive part.

Could this be offloaded to the backend?

I'm thinking of a on-the-fly transcode that the backend would use to
reduce the resolution so it's suitable for the frontend.

This would let me use some of my lower-powered FEs to display HD content
- albeit at a reduced resolution...

Comments?  Pipe dream?