[mythtv-users] stray viewings being left as recordings

Paul Webber paulmaillist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 00:25:55 UTC 2007

I notice as I'm channel surfing that each time a new video file is created,
such as 6009_20070415214005.mpg and it ends up in my recordings directory
(ie the one specified by RecordFilePrefix in mythconverg.settings), and
those files aren't deleted when I stop watching tv.  So after a couple days
of use, I have around 30 files lingering in my recordings directory, most of
them are just 15 second clips as I was surfing through channels.  I wouldn't
expect Myth to save these since I didn't tell Myth to record them; they're
just 'stray viewings'.  I would only expect that the files would be saved if
I scheduled the recording, or hit the recording button.  Any idea why
they're left here?  Shouldn't they have been saved in the directory
specified in the 'LiveBufferDir' setting instead of my recordings directory?

I see most of them are in the recorded table too, where I assume recordings
are stored, and I wouldn't expect to see them here since they weren't really
recordings; FYI the 'record' table is empty, because I have never scheduled
any recordings.  I couldn't find anything in Myth's wiki about the cause of
this behavior.  Is this what it's supposed to do?  Is there a way to make it
only save shows that I actually recorded or scheduled and not save a bunch
of files every time I surf the channels?

Paul