[mythtv-users] Import DVD

Don Bossung donald at bossung.net
Mon Apr 16 22:01:59 UTC 2007

>>Try the script I've been using for getting ISO copies. The script
>>makes use of lsdvd to open the disc and get the title then ddrescue
>>to skip bad blocks during copy. Obviously, have both lsdvd and
>>ddrescue installed before running. A while back there was talk about
>>making MythDVD more robust against block read errors. I'm not sure
>>changes were ever made.
>>--
>>Scott

Scott, hope you are still monitoring this.

I am trying your script and the first problem I ran into is the ddrescue I
dl'd with yum (fc5) the options were totally different than the version you
cited in your script. The response from -V is

dd_rescue Version 1.10, garloff at suse.de, GNU GPL

I was able to come up with this usage of the command which I think is
comparable to yours

ddrescue -v  -b 2048 /dev/dvd /video/movies/dvd/tgn.iso

And it ran for 20 hours and ripped about 10000 512B blocks which was
ridiculous. So this version has a 'reverse' option that rips the disk in
reverse and (-r) I am trying that now. Could you give a little more detail
about the ddrescue you use and some time values for ripping a disk?

Thanks
Don