[mythtv-users] Proof of Concept a success!

me at blaue0.net me at blaue0.net
Mon Apr 16 13:44:15 UTC 2007

Zitat von David Frascone <dave at frascone.com>:
> 1) mythtv-setup seems like a FE program -- is there a lighter weight
> version for dedicated backends?

I don't think so, but you can run the mythtv-setup on your local X
server by connecting with ssh -X to your backend. This way you don't
need to start an X server on the backend.

> 3) Soon I'll be receiving my dual tuner card, and a STB dedicated to my
> myth setup.  Is there a way to have myth default to a tuner for most
> recordings, and only use the STB for digital channels?

I think you need two lineups, one with the digital channels connected
to the STB tuner (in mythtv-setup) and one for the analogue channels.
I think you can somehow set the priorities for the tuners, but I don't
remeber exactly how.

> 4) This will be an initial setup, moving to a nicer rack mounted backend
> in the future -- is there an easy way to move recordings / setup when I
> do that?  Would it make it easier if I put the database on another
> machine (my normal file-server -- always up)?

All the configuration except the database location information
(username, password, host) is stored in the database. So basically you
just need to move the database, edit the ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt file and
you're done.

> And a couple of diskless frontend questions:
>
> 1) Geforce4 card
>    a) I'm using the VGA input to my TV -- is that my best choice?
>    b) My TV has a resolution of 1366x768, but currently I'm set at
> 1024x768 -- should I just find a compatible modeline?

If you don't have DVI-in/out on both TV and card you are stuck with
VGA. I also have a TV that has 1366x768, the binary blob by nvidia
automatically uses 1360x768 pixels if the TV is on when the X server
is starting up. I think this is called EEID or similar.
However I heard of TVs which do not accept their native resolutions
over the "PC" port. Maybe you can get a DVI->HDMI adapter, if your TV
has such an input.

> 2) NFS -vs- initramfs -vs- whatever . . . PXE Boot?  I'd rather save my
> DVD to just play movies, and boot off of the network -- any HOWTO's?

I'm using a CompactFlash -> IDE adapter for my base system (is around
500 megs). This way I don't have any moving parts in the frontend. The
root filesystem is overlayed with a ramdisk to avoid writing to the CF
card, as I heard that this will eventually destroy the card after some
thousand writes.

> And, finally -- does anyone sell any pre-built diskless mythtv
> frontends?  Might be cheaper / better than building my own.

Depending on where you live I could make you an offer, contact me
off-list with some details.

/Christian