[mythtv-users] How well does MythTV use threads?

Geoff Mishkin gmishkin at acs.bu.edu
Mon Apr 16 05:35:06 UTC 2007

First of all, I'm pretty sure a Core 2 Duo will out-perform any kind of
Pentium 4.

That being said, if it's just a frontend machine, a fast Pentium 4
should be enough.  In this case, I don't really think MythTV is doing
more than one CPU-intensive thing at once anyway.

I don't know about MythTV's internal use of threads, but I think there's
a setting where you can adjust the number of jobs that can run
concurrently (e.g. transcoding and commercial flagging).  That's the
easiest way to get performance out of a dual core system.  Only applies
to backend systems, though, of course.

             --Geoff Mishkin <gmishkin at bu.edU>