[mythtv-users] Why does mythtv decide to postpone a recording?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Apr 16 03:18:02 UTC 2007

On Apr 15, 2007, at 9:09 PM, Justin wrote:

> I've noticed that same thing with Grey's Anatomy.
> The problem for me is that Grey's Anatomy runs from 9:00 to 10:01
> so the
> scheduler has Grey's Anatomy take up the time slots for 9:00 and
> 10:00.
> That only ways I've found to workaround this problem are:
> 1. Watch a later showing the next day
> 2. Remove the last minute from Grey's Anatomy
> 3. Remove the first minute of a 10:00 show
> 4. Buy a third tuner
> 5. Convince ABC to air the show in a normal time slot

Re: Option #5

It seems that more and more the networks are learning what Ted Turner
knew more than a quarter-century ago:

Air your programs on a schedule that doesn't "fit" with the other
networks.

Remember WTBS (and before that, WTCG) aired programs offset by 5
minutes, so if you watched one of them you would be "out of sync" and
if you wanted to switch to a "normal" network you would either lose
some of the program or be in for 10 minutes of commercials.

The Gods help us if this trend gets out of hand, as each network
tries to "lock us in", whether we are watching live or recording.

Remember that "option 4" is not available to the vast majority of the
DVR-using public, option 1 is within the control of the networks and
the remaining options cost programming.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org