[mythtv-users] Help sponsor MythTVMultiplex.

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 18:19:27 UTC 2007

> However, as was pointed out earlier, I have no problems with a company
> benefiting from open-source software, it happens all the time and that's
> kind of how the model really works anyway. Though I agree that it would
> be nice if the company in question was either pitching in more or at
> least being more open about what exactly they're pitching in.

I completely agree with this, and that first part was my point in my
reply.  I don't necessarily agree with the last part though.  Just
because a company has a separate "branch" for open source development,
I don't think it's then necessary to point back at their commercial
wing to show what their other businesses are.  In the US, if a company
has multiple companies registered under one name (DBA) they don't
typically point out this fact.

I don't think it's necessary, I don't think it's helpful, and I don't
think it's 'questionable' if they don't.  They are ultimately helping
out thousands of MythTV users, and getting done what plenty of other
"individuals" haven't been able to in the past.  So, being more open
about what they are pitching in doesn't seem relevant (and by the way
they were open about how much they initially will invest, 500 Euros),
mostly because it's a good feature for a lot of users that other's
have (unsuccessfully) tried to organize for development in the past.
And most of all, above and beyond any other point I tried to make, I
think that because there are 3 developers who have agreed to this,
none of the 'details' should be questionable.  It's as simple as
donate or not, and OSP will cover the rest; apparently even if that
means the full 6000 Euros.

-Chad